Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Lululemon Haul...

Oh, dear. I just became one of *those* people. Those people that drop $200 in a Lululemon store on a couple of items.

I have been interested in trying out Yoga/Pilates at my new gym as a way to increase my flexibility/zone out from work. I decided I wanted a Lululemon yoga mat. Of course, the mat needs a cool mat strap.

Pretty purple 'The Pure Mat' by Lululemon Athletica , $49.95 AUD, with yoga mat strap, $25.00 AUD
I rolled the mat on my floor and it didn't seem to be too thin (something I was worried about) and definitely wasn't slippery. It has two different grip sides so I guess I'll work out which one is better for me. I did want the aqua mat (similar colour to the strap) but they didn't have any nice mat straps in store to match the aqua mat so I got the purple mat instead. Am keen to give Yoga/Pilates a try!

I knew going in how ridiculously expensive Lululemon is, but I thought it wouldn't be a huge deal because I would be too big to fit into any of their clothes. WRONG. While their tops weren't super flattering (my stomach is my worst point) their pants were good. Currently I am working out in cheapo $10 3/4 tights/pants from K-Mart or $35 Yoga pants from Victoria's Secret, along with some cheap t-shirts from Gap, VS, or Bonds. I pulled on a new pair of VS yoga pants to go to Zumba last Friday and noticed when I was pegging them on the clothesline that they had got a random little hole in them on the front right near the top of the leg. I have noticed several items of clothes from VS are doing this, from pants to undies to tank tops, and while their yoga pants are super comfy and flattering, and have a nice long foldover waistband, what is the point wearing them when they just might rip on you in class? VS quality has definitely gone downhill the last few years.

Anyway, I tried on some of the Lululemon 3/4 capri tights and WOW. They felt like I had nothing on. They were almost a little too comfy, as I was worried if I wore them spinning or to Pump, while I lean forward for a standing ride on the bike or do a squat in Pump the pants might split on me. The girl of course assured me that wouldn't happen and if it did they would replace them, and also said since they weren't shiny they weren't too tight on me, but I thought I might be better to wait until I'm a little more body confident before shelling out over $100 on 3/4 tights. I also tried on their full length yoga pants which were again super comfy but I was a but unsure about the price for something I can get elsewhere for 1/4 of the price. But then I tried on something called the Studio Pant. OMG I was in pants heaven.

The Studio Pant is basically like a baggy dance pant. I love these type of pants because they are just my style and I don't have to worry about VPL as much. The Lululemon Studio pants aren't cheap but they were so comfy and I could imagine doing all sorts of things in them, like Yoga/Pilates, Pilates Reformer, and Zumba or even Pump in them. Only place they would be inappropriate and potentially dangerous would be in spinning. These are baggy in the right places and a little more fitted in the right places and they just move with you so nicely. Only issue is they are super long:
They have an elastic drawstring at the hem you can tighten to roll up to your own length or to 3/4 length, but I might end up hemming these myself/trying to put the elastic in again myself so I still have the baggy look and can pull up if I need to on a hot day.
These pants will also be good for Fridays at work where I get to wear sports gear to work. I am only mildly guilty about spending so much on these pants. I hope they don't split at the booty!
Lululemon Athletica Studio Pant, black, $129.95 AUD
The whole shopping in Lululemon experience was quite pleasant. I expected to be judged for being overweight, or passed over by in love with themselves sales assistants. Instead, everyone was really lovely. One woman was curvier herself and made me feel better about trying to shop in there. The woman working in the change area was friendly and helpful without being annoying. The girl putting my sale through was also really friendly. They all encouraged me to come to their free yoga sessions (but they aren't on at convenient times to me and Chadstone isn't as close to my house as my gym is).

I look forward to being able to fit into some of their tops and maybe their tights with a bit more ease. This could be a bit of a goal of mine! I am also interested to check out Lorna Jane for their tights. I think I might go to DFO soon and check out some of the sports gear shops and see what is best.

What is your favourite workout gear brand? Do you like to get cheaper pieces you can replace often as your tastes change or do you prefer more expensive stuff that will last longer?

3 comments:

  1. I love shopping and I spend a lot of money on clothes but never on exercise gear. My stuff is so daggy in comparison to some of the girls at the gym but don't see the point in spending money on something I wear to the gym and get all hot and sweaty in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about not spending heaps of money you're going to get sweaty and look revolting in, but some of my K-Mart leggings have gone saggy so wondering if something even mid-market might be better as it might last longer (and be moisture-wicking, as currently I always walk out of the gym with big sweat patches in not so lovely places!).

      Delete
  2. Loved the color of this Lululemon yoga mat, and will definitely try this as my yoga mat is very slippery. I love wearing comfortable clothing while doing exercise and always shop from Carbon 38 workout clothes. I think comfort is most important for doing yoga with 100%.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I love to read your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...