Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2013

I Think I Made A Gym Buddy...

My lack of blogging this week has been because my life has been pretty eventless. I have continued to go to the gym regularly and continued to not hate it. When I was home today after my workout, I thought of a quote I read somewhere - something along the lines of that even if you don't feel like going to the gym, you never regret the time after you've finished the workout, even though you feel hot/sweaty/jelly legged. It's very true.

Tuesday and Thursday I went to some free personal training sessions. The personal trainer is OK but is not super inspiring as she is overweight herself, and doesn't look really fit. Personal training is something that is not in my budget so I won't be continuing with this afterwards. I'm also really enjoying the group fitness classes and feeling like I'm working pretty hard in those without having the need for a persona trainer.

Thursday after my personal training session I took my new Lululemon mat to a yoga class. I've only been to yoga once before, a couple of years ago with a friend at his gym. It was the most camp class ever - he had the hots for his yoga instructor who was Canadian, and even though there was only one other woman in the room, the instructor kept referring to the whole group as 'ladies'. It wasn't a bad class (I think it was a yogalates class now I think about it) but I was hopeless. Anyway, the class I went to on Thursday must have been an advanced class because, not long after I laid out my mat in a back corner of the room, some middle aged woman came in and started calmly standing on her head, with perfect stillness and for several minutes. The instructor moved through super quick and didn't explain any poses, just rattled off the names, and I found myself struggling to keep up with copying the agile older women around me. He knew everyone by name and didn't even come to help me at all, but helped the regulars lots, which I thought was kind of rude. At some stage some woman was helped to do some back flip handstand from a table pose. Yep. Definitely in the advanced class. At the end the instructor did say I did well to keep up and I had some good posture in the sitting cross-legged pose (yay me, I can sit up straight! Gee thanks for that compliment). I wish that my gym would put the name of the instructor on the class timetable, so I know to avoid his classes in future!

Friday I went back to Zumba with the older ladies, which was quite fun again and a good workout.

Yesterday afternoon I did BodyPump again. The instructor is not bad but she fumbled around a bit, I think she was worried because there was another instructor in the room, which may have made her nervous. She has a bit of annoying habit of going 'oooooooh', or 'phwoarh' into the microphone when she's feeling the burn herself, but the class is a convenient time. Also, there was a newbie in front of me - it was nice to help her out getting the weight clips off and see her look around and tell anyone who was listening "OMG!". Nice not to feel like a hopeless case!

And then today I went to my regular spin class and this is where I think I made a gym buddy. I originally started hopping onto a bike to the left of a girl, and then noticed it had cardboard wedged under the front, so decided I wouldn't have that bike as it would probably rock, so moved to the right of the girl, commenting that the bike looked wobbly. We then proceeded to chat through the whole class, and wound up agreeing to meet for Pump on Wednesday night. She said it was nice to have someone to go "wow that was hard" to or just to workout with, which I agree with, so will see what eventuates there! All in all, the people at this gym are much friendlier than my old gym. People smile at you or say hello, and don't look totally up themselves like they did at Fitness First. The instructors are friendlier and willing to help. I especially like my Sunday morning cycle instructor as she gets off her bike periodically and checks on each person's stats and then tells you individually to push further if she thinks you can. Her class is also super hard but in a good way and she is motivating. I hope that she changes the music in the next couple of weeks, though.

Other random photos from my week:
Made my own slow cook BBQ pork ribs. DELICIOUS.

Paid $4.10 for a sausage roll as Fergussons was out of plain pies and it was getting on to 2 P.M. Insanely expensive for a sausage roll and nothing special for the price.

Made my own poppy and chia seed knot rolls. Tasted soooooo good.
Do any of you do yoga? Convince me to go again even though my experience this week was so horrendous!


3 comments:

  1. I've done yoga once and have no intention of going back - though a guy at work says it's the secret to looking younger O.O and swears by it, this is a guy who likes to hang out at the shooting range.

    That instructor is hilarious XD the one that calls the class ladies, is it a girl or guy?

    Don't like Fergusson's sausage rolls, the 4/20 ones at the supermarket are much better. I do love their party pieces though. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't $4 normal for a sausage roll? I often get a sausage roll or pie from Brumbys when I'm hungover and I'm sure its at least $4, maybe more.

    I cannot get into yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought sausage rolls were closer to the $2.50 price range. The bakery I worked at during high school has a shop close to my work and we go on a Friday for lunch and their sausage rolls are around $2.50 and their pies are around $4.20. So good! I think Brumbys and Fergussons are just more expensive than independent bakeries.

    I'm thinking of giving pilates a go instead of yoga, at least it is all in English and the focus is in muscles and breathing rather than the spiritual side of things. anastasiastarz, the instructor was a guy at that class I went to with my friend, they were all varying degrees of gay, and walking through that gym was such a weird experience, the guys did not look at you at all, but instead very obviously (but they were trying to be at least semi-discreet) checked each other out instead! Quite an experience!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I love to read your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...