Pages

Monday, September 16, 2013

Werribee Open Range Zoo...


Yesterday Derek and I took my two cousins to Werribee Open Range Zoo. It's free for kids under 15, which is a pretty good deal if you have or know kids. I haven't been to Werribee Zoo since I was maybe 8 years old so I couldn't remember it at all and was keen to go and see how it compared to Melbourne Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary. These shots were taken with my giant lens on my DSLR, which got covered in dust on the bus ride around the open range exhibits.
Many camels.
Close up of the camels.
Two giraffes. 
One giraffe going for a stroll.
Apparently giraffes give birth standing up, so the baby has about a two metre drop to the ground when it's born. Welcome to the world! 
Zebra with antelope in the background.
Rhinoceros from the back.
The folds in the rhino's skin are pretty full on!
Hippopotamus.  
Leaving the water.
Going for a walk.

The lion was behind glass. He would have been at least 100 m away from me so I didn't get too bad a shot, really. Also, the polarising filter on my camera meant no glass reflections in my shot!
The bus was good as it went driving through the exhibits and the driver gave lots of information, however the walking exhibits, which had animals such as lions, gorillas, monkeys, and meerkats, was quite small and quick to go through. There was also an Australian animal walking exhibit but there wasn't an animal to be seen. All up we spent just under 3 hours at the Zoo but this included about 20 minutes for an ice cream stop. It's a nice thing to do but I won't be hurrying back. The ewather was beautiful and it was super busy.

What did you get up to on your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, is that serious about giraffes giving birth standing up? They have always been a favourite animal of mine at the zoo. Now I love them even more - so funny, poor baby giraffes - cop that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I thought it was a not too pleasant way to begin your life!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I love to read your feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...